Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What I traded in...

A women I met when I moved here, and who scared the shit out of me, has given me a lot. Not in the sense of money, property, etc..., but in her sharing, reaching out, being selfless. She was an old timer from my home group, and about a year ago she moved away, not far, but life continues, and God has put new people in our lives. I got to visit with her again, it's been over six months since I saw her last. Tonight I am going to take a page from her, and share it with you.

What I traded in...

I traded in a dark bar, for sunlit rooms.
Blackouts for memories.
Sorrow for happiness.
Doubt for faith.
Death for life.
Bullshit for honesty.
Loneliness for friends.
Black soul for God.
Contempt for open mindedness.
Greed for sharing.
Hate for love.
Pain for surrender.
I traded all this in and more,
when I stopped being a drunk,
and became a member of AA.

Thank you Donna, and all the women in AA who came before you, and for all the ones after us. We keep sharing, loving, hoping, growing, dreaming, sharing, and passing on this message.

Blessings & Love,
Kimberly

2 comments:

Dave said...

we sure got a deal on that trade-in eh? God is a wonderful dealer.
peace babe. FD

Recovery Road London said...

Dark bars, dark spirits (Jack D, Jimmy B, Johnny W, brandy etc etc), dark thoughts, dark soul, all pretty damned dark in those days.

Take it easy.