Friday, December 21, 2007

Feeling Frisky...

Wow! I have been in an extra, super duper (i know, corny), terrific, frisky mood! It's been a really great week, and there is no particular reason. It just is what it is, not good or bad.

The weird thing is the last couple of days I've been at various stores out and about, and I've seen some of the most unhappy, angry people I've ever seen. I know it must be from the holidays coming up, the stress others feel, so I just keep putting on my happy face. In fact yesterday the deli guy commented on it. This is how it went... I went up to get some sliced Maple Ham. I thought hot grilled cheese (cheese oozing, of course) with ham would be awesome and a cup of rich tomato soup (made with milk, of course) would be awesome, and I knew hubby would be in heaven. So as I approach the counter a very nice man smiled at me and asked, "How are you today?" I replied, "I am awesome! It's been a great week!" He looked surprised, then asked "Really why?" "No particular reason, I'm just grateful and thankful for everything. I feel good and want to spread that cheer." He was surprised still, and said he'd had a lot of customers, unhappy ones, with numerous problems. I think he was a little cheered when I left his counter, he was smiling at least.

I know that my mood can effect others around me, I've seen me do it before. It's not because I'm all that or something, but I remember how I would go out of my way to dwell on the negative, push every button I could, and justify my thinking it was right to make every one around me as miserable as I felt. Today, I don't want to feel that ick anymore, and I definitely don't want to share it with others. That doesn't mean life is a big happy smiling face, because it isn't all the time. I have problems, and challenges in my life just like every one else, but my attitude is what starts my day.

If I start out cranky, and don't do anything to lift my mood before my feet hit the floor, I'll be quiet around others and vent my frustrations (generally, out on hubby). If I start out in a good mood, I still do something to ensure that it will stay with me all day. That "something" is talking to God in the morning. I talk to him like I do my friends, let my mind wander over various things going on in life, then I stop and listen, relax and really feel my surroundings. Either way He helps me start my day, I decide whether to be cranky (self-will run riot) or content and happy (His will for me). The longer I live these steps actively, the less days of crankdom I have, but they are never gone completely and that's cool today.

I had a lot of different things go on this week. Monday was my birthday, it was pretty calm. Tuesday I got up real early, ran some errands, visited with a sponsee, delivered some help and maybe a little hope to a family in need. Shopped for some new leathers and found exactly what I want for my birthday from hubby. Scrambled home with dinner and went to a great meeting. Came home, hung out with the birds and then crashed into bed.

The errands were no big deal, it was the last little bit of Christmas shopping I had to do. Visiting with the sponsee was the big part of my day. She's really going through a challenging part of her life right now. She has one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen, she has grown so much in the last year in her program, and in her quest for finding God, she is one of the funniest people I've ever had the pleasure to hang with, and she helps keep me sober another day. The place she works is not very nice, they don't treat any of their employees fairly, nor their patients, and have had a lot of people just up and quit. This is where her stress comes in, trying to cover extra shifts, doing her job well and putting up with the stress trickling down from her bosses. She tells me how tired she is, and that she doesn't feel well, but she doesn't have to, because I can hear it in her voice and see it in her face. So we talked for quite a while, and came up with some solutions to her problems. She's been feeling much better, and is excited because she's off on Saturday.

Wednesday I didn't want to get up, my body said "oohhh, stay in this nice warm cozy bed." So I did for quite a while. Then I got up meandered around the house, read some blogs, left some comments. Then I heard the couch (yes, I'm loco in la cabasa), "kimmmiiieee, kimmie, you know you want to crash on me, come lay down and snuggle with a good book." So I crashed for a while. My body just needed a day of rest, and today I listen. Going full tilt, like a whirling dervish, I can stop and listen to my body and rest. It felt wonderful to just hang out at home.

The parrots were estatic! Bomber talked all day. He has quite the repertoire. This is some of his litany of phrases: "Wanna go outside, come on baby. Wanna go outside - Chelsea", "Brrr" "Whatsa matter - hmmmm? Are you okay?" "Are you pretty, pretty, pretty - oh look how pprreetttty!" "And up, and up, work those thighs - work'em" This one his old owner liked to work out to videos (get your mind out of the gutter). And one of my all time favorites "bap ba bap ba baaa - SUPERBIRD!" He sticks his head way out and says this one rather proudly. He loves to talk during the movies, and phone conversations, he sounds and acts like he's a part and it's pretty funny. He's been quite a blessing to me, but is on hubby's short list, especially since he bit him again that day.

Tretoe played in my lap, chortling, clicking, and whistling away. Running under the pillow between my leg and the chair. Climbing back up on my shoulder, under my hair, nibbling on my ear. I swear he thinks I'm his personal chew toy. He was so happy, his eyes dilating like crazy, his tail flashing. He started my day with a laugh anyway. I'm laying in bed, and I hear him whistle for me. He whistles like when you call a dog to you, or are trying to get someones attention. It made me chuckle, he was telling me to get my lazy butt moving that he wanted fed and attention. He also does the wolf whistle, and tells ya to "C'mere" in this little squeaky voice.

Cocoa, she is plain loco! Running all over the floor, up the chair, down the chair, back and forth between hubby and I, round and round, across the floor and back, she's a lunatic child, and wears me out just watching her. She is the clown, the animated one of the group, and is pretty damn entertaining in her own way. In fact, all three are better than TV any day.

They did all eventually settle down, and had their afternoon nap with hubby. Tretoe asleep in my hair, Cocoa on hubby's leg as he snored away, and Bomber, assuming the position, one leg up, head tucked on his favorite rope perch. I felt very content and very blessed.

There still is so much more to share, but I've rambled on enough for now. I think I'm gonna take care of some chores around the house, sauna, and then hubby and I are gonna spend some time at home together tonight. I love you all and thank God for all the blessings in my life. Have a great day!

Love,
Kimberly

3 comments:

indistinct said...

Wow, sounds great.

Thanks for your response on my blog. I know that I have to go through all the trials of life, no choice. Thats were the greatest growth and benefits come from. Facing life clean and sober. Even the ugly days will yield growth for me.

AA's all over the world go through this. I am not unique or alone. Thank you for sharing. Helps keep us going!

Thank you!

Shadow said...

what you're doing sounds just great! the kind of stuff one should do during the holidays, just what you wish....

lotsa love!

Recovery Road London said...

It's taking me a while to learn how my moods (and sometimes casual and throw-away remarks) can affect others.

Your post made me hungry!

Merry Christmas!