Thursday, December 13, 2007

These Gifts...

I heard so many times when I became newly sober that we would receive wonderful gifts of sobriety, and promises would be fulfilled. (I believe (?) there are 164 promises made in the Big Book). So many of them have come true for me today. I am a recovered alcoholic and that recovery depends on my daily maintenance, and conscious contact of a God of my understanding. Maintenance being the key word!

maintenance: the act of maintaining: the means of support, the upkeep.

I need to do upkeep on my daily life, just like my car if I want to keep it running smooth and efficiently. But just like my car, I will occasionally have a hiccup, and need to go in for a tune up. That's where the fellowship comes in, reaching out to others, receiving and using suggestions that people have experienced and found in the Big Book. They help keep those hiccups away or at least guide me so I don't have to fall.


So now I'd like to go back to the promises. It has been a wonderful couple of days. I did my lead on Tuesday and God walked with me the whole way. A small group from my area came to surprise and support me, it was an awesome example in unselfishness. I also got to see some people I hadn't seen in while, and got to find out how they were doing. One man that I had met in his early sobriety was there, he said he was struggling, but we both agreed he was in the right place - at a meeting! I received wonderful feedback from my lead. Today, it's really cool that I can hear, and that I still remain teachable. I still want what I see in other peoples eyes, in their demeanors, and I know they got it from taking daily action in their sobriety.


Wednesday night I heard a lead from a wonderful man who does a lot for people in AA. He's very active, attends a lot of different meetings. Our paths cross a lot because we both do this. The joke between us is "I get around, but it's in a good way today!" He's a gentle soul, and like so many of us was committing a slow suicide. Today, we can help others, reach out to newcomers, have fun in sobriety, and lead by example. I thank God for placing him in my path.


Tonight the girls from my Spiritual Thursday nights came over for a food get together. It was awesome, I think I put on 5 lbs. just tonight. We had pasta salad, these awesome little quiches with avocado and cheese, and mushroom brie, sausage and peppers, meets and cheeses, broccoli salad, Japanese Nikujaga (potato style) soup, candy and really good sugar cookies. We shared wonderful company, jokes, and laughed, complained how tired we were, and that it was still OK. Ms. P made all of us girls Embroidered t-shirts with our group name and start date of the meeting - they are beautiful with an intricate cross. What a thoughtful and beautiful gift. The thing I loved most tonight was the laughter, and gentle and sometimes bawdy conversation that carried on through the evening. These women give me so much - hope, strength, guidance, love, understanding, laughter, peace, friendship - I feel like I'm about to burst with joy!


The promises laid out in the Big Book have and continue to come true for me everyday. If you had asked me 5 1/2 years ago what I wanted in sobriety, I would have ssoooo short changed myself. The blessings I have today are unfathomable, and more continue to appear the longer I actively maintain my sobriety.


Thank you, to all who have gone before me, to those who trudge along with me, and for the unknowns that will be revealed to me on this journey called life.


Blessings & Love,

Kimberly

2 comments:

Shadow said...

wow, that all sounds wonderful!!!! you are truly blessed!

Mike said...

Nice to finally get around to meeting you. Thanks for stopping by, my blogging has been sporatic at best.

There are a 164 pages, so there must be a lot more than 164 promises... :-)

Mike...