Saturday, December 1, 2007

Gifts from Pam & Sue

Morning! I hadn't read some of these tidbits, poems and stories in a while, but I remember who gave them to me. Pam (my sponsor from CA) sends me many words of encouragement and hope, I asked God and Most Caring are from her.

Beauty Regime was given to me by Bob R., Sue's husband. I meet them both in my Calif. AA meeting, they were a loving AA couple with many, many years of sobriety, and touched many, many lives. They both will always have a special place in my heart, here is why... Sue had an aneurysm in the morning meeting, it happened right in front of me. She grabbed my hand, sat down, and said she didn't feel well. Her face turned flushed, and she was sweating profusely. I tried to comfort her, and get her help, others called 911, and prayers started immediately. She looked me in the eye and said, "Please call Bob, tell him I love him, that I worry about him, but I know he knows the right thing to do." She passed out after that, and never woke again. Over the next couple of days there was tons of prayer, and sharing of how much she had given so much of us. I was given one last task by God and Sue, and that was to relay a message to Bob.

This all had happened on Friday, and I was leaving town Tuesday. No one could get a hold of him, and I patiently waited, worried I wouldn't be able to see him before I left to relay a last message. My husband told me not worry, he would relay the message if I could not, and so I accepted that. Monday morning Bob walked into the meeting with his family. It was a very heartfelt meeting, full of love, compassion, understanding and hope. Bob sat quietly with his kids and listened, at the end of the meeting he thanked everyone. I swallowed hard, and asked God to not let me cry until I relayed Sue last words, and God was there for us. As I approached Bob he took one look at me and said, "You were the one with her." "Yes, and she wanted you to know - "
I love you, that I worry about you, but I know you know the right thing to do." He thanked me, and gave me the biggest bear hug, and tears rolled down are checks.

Two weeks later Bob gave me the poem Beauty Regime, he had been going through Sue's things.
She had many poems from over the years, she was a school teacher, and he continued finding more in dressers, books, cupboards and such. He said this poem reminded him of Sue and me, and that it was one of her favorites kept on the dresser. I pass it out to woman still today, and thank Sue, Bob and God for the lesson I learned in early sobriety about hope, love, compassion, accountability, and reaching out to others.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Blessings & Love,
Kimberly

I ASKED GOD...

I asked God for strength,
that I might achieve...

I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for health, that I might do greater things...

I was given sickness, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches,
that I might be happy...

I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men...

I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life...

I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.

I am among all men, most richly blessed!


BEAUTY REGIME

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each your arms.

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.


MOST CARING

Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry."

When there is nothing left but God, that is when you find out that God is all you need.

Father, God bless all my friends in whatever it is that You know they may be needing this day! And may their life be full of your peace, prosperity and power as they seek to have a closer relationship with you. Amen.

4 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

Great thread. I really enjoyed it. Thank you.

Parrots rock, by the way.

Dave said...

Thanks alot for posting these, you sure have a way of getting thru to the heart.
peace babe

Shadow said...

nice beauty regime, and much better and cheaper than the ones at the stores!

indistinct said...

We recieved some bad news today, your words and poems were what I needed to hear.

Thank you.